Local growers, Monika and Leo Rastapkevicius supplied the sweet potatoes from their R-Grow farm near West Lorne and stopped in to sample the sweet creations. They also grow sweet corn, muskmelons, seeded and seedless watermelons, ornamental pumpkins and gourds and cash crops.
The Arts & Cookery Bank offers many events, cooking and photography classes. Find out more...
Thai Curry Sweet Potato Soup
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 medium Ontario Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each of ground cumin, coriander and turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 cups (1 L) cubed peeled Ontario Sweet Potatoes (about 1-1/4 lb / 500 g or 1-1/2 large potatoes)
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt (optional) Garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped roasted peanuts
- Finely grated lime rind, minced fresh cliantro or parsley
Preparation Instructions: In large nonstick saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric and hot pepper flakes, stirring until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
Add broth, sweet potato and coconut milk; bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Let cool slightly. Purée, in batches, in blender or food processor or with hand blender until smooth. Return to saucepan. Stir in lime juice; season with salt if desired. Serve garnished as desired.
Variation: Omit coconut milk and increase broth to 3-1/2 cups (875 mL). Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) packed brown sugar.
Source: Foodland Ontario