At first the service was horse drawn, but electrification of the line began in 1898. Street cars made connections to all the railway stations – Michigan Central, London & Port Stanley, Grand Trunk/Wabash and Pere Marquettte. It was used by residents to get to work, shop, visit friends and relatives, attend an opera and visit Pinafore Park.
Information on the sites is from the Doors Open St. Thomas 2012 brochure. The event is organized through the office of Mayor Heather Jackson and financially supported by the City of St. Thomas. The event is made possible through the efforts of volunteers. The coordinator of Doors Open St. Thomas is Laurence Grant, president of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario - St. Thomas-Elgin Branch.